A History of the Hale Area
Civics Class – 8th Grade
| Geographic Setting
The village of Hale lies wholly within the tract of land ceded to the United States government by the Chippewa Indians in 1819 when the treaty of Saginaw was signed. Due to the many lakes and streams this area was once a fur trader’s paradise, where one Louis Chevalier lived in 1800. In 1828 “The American Fur Company” built a trading post at the mouth of the AuSable River (present day Oscoda), which was once the fastest flowing river in Michigan. Who gave the river its name is unknown, but probably voyageurs are responsible for naming it, as it is a French word meaning “all sand.”
The chief characteristics of climate are that it is never excessively hot nor excessively cold. One could say the climate is temperate. The topography of the lad ranges from fairly level to rolling. It is surrounded by the “Huron National Forest,” and therefore, is a noted vacation area.
E. V. Esmond was appointed the Post Master in 1886. He built the present D. D. Pearsall’s Hardware in 1900. He also helped the Baptist Church to be built.
Another of the early settlers was S. B. Yawger, who along with Mr. Phelps built a shingle mill, at the present site of Dr. E. N. Douglas’ [NOTE: one mile west of Hale on the north side of the road on the banks of Hale Creek] house in 1887. Mr. Yawger also became a “Post Master” in 1893. He operated a bank where the Variety store now stands [NOTE: Between Hale Bar and the Hardware store]. Mr. Yawger built the first garage in 1923. He also put in the first electric lights operated by a Delco system.
The Mill Store built in the 1890’s was run by Hammond and Featherson. This store [NOTE: located on the SW corner of M65 at the four corners] was later bought by the Yawgers, and is now known as the “D. D. Pearsall Hardware.”
C. L. Hale, who the village is named after, built a lumber mill on Hale Lake. In the spring they floated the logs down Hale creek. The lake and Creek are named after him.